As someone who attended the first-ever COLDchella and witnessed the Holo’pac in person, I’d like to offer some tips for you Weekend Two-ers, to help you make the most of your weekend. You guys have the great weather and newly arranged set-times going for you already, but there are still a few things you can do to enhance your festival experience.
My Weekend 2 Survival Tips:
1. Charge your phone + conserve battery as much as possible (that means uploading those Instagram photos later). EVERYONE’s phones die by the end of night and it makes tracking down your friends a hassle. This leads me to my next tip -
2. It’s likely this weekend will be less crowded than Weekend 1, but it would be a good idea to pick a meeting place for in-between sets where you can meet up if you lose a few of your crew in the shuffle. There’s much more traffic near the Sahara tent this year so I would suggest picking a landmark a little farther away.
3. When mobbing the Sahara, enter from the right side of the tent for a better spot, the back and left sides will be practically overflowing with people. For a prime spot at the Coachella Stage, enter from the left.
4. Use the bathrooms between the Outdoor Stage and the Gobi – they’re quicker + cleaner, even if you’re at the Sahara. I’ll spare you the rest of the details.
5. Keep track of your sh*t. The last place you want to spend Coachella is in line at the lost & found. I can’t tell you how many people I know who had things lost or taken from them – WAY more than in previous years – so be aware of your belongings.
6. Use an iPhone to pin your car’s location so that at the end of the night, you won’t have to wander around the sea of identical parking lots looking for your space. Also, make sure everyone in your group knows your lot #.
7. Stick to smaller groups and have your friends come to you. If you’re trying to coordinate with 15 other people all the time, you’ll end up missing the things you want to see.
8. Eat your meals earlier in the day or during mid-set. The beer garden gets overrun when shows end, and the food lines are often very messy (no pun intended).
9. If you plan on catching Swedish House Mafia at the mainstage, situate yourselves farther back. You’ll have a more complete view of the screens and the lazers (which are phenomenal might I add), and you’ll actually be able to dance around a bit.
10. Do not under any circumstances miss Snoop & Dre – their performance is unbelievably entertaining and it will bring back a ton of old memories. With Avicii‘s set time moved up, you have no excuse.
A few other things to keep in mind (as I’m told by my friends who camped this year): showers are most crowded in the morning. Be the first in line to get in, or cab to a friend’s place off-site to shower. Keep in mind it always takes longer to get back to the festival grounds than expected, and cabs are impossible to get off-site due to the high demand. Get a shuttle or DD.
And a final note for those of you leaving on Sunday night – there are NO RULES in the parking lot. Do as you wish to get yourself back to your spot and into a comfortable bed asap.
Remember these tips and you’ll definitely get the most out of your Coachella experience. Have an AWESOME weekend!